“Smoothie Bike Ride” Recipes
We hope you rode along with us on our smoothie bike adventures at the West Ward Market. What’s a smoothie bike, you ask? It’s a stationary bike fitted with a blender to combine exercise, healthy eating, and environmentally conscious cooking. The user pedals the bike and blends all the ingredients using the turning wheels to spin the blender blade. Pretty cool stuff!
Strawberry Day Smoothies
Sweet, fresh strawberries made for a simple smoothie in June. Here’s our recipe:
- Combine milk, a spoonful of honey, 3/4 cup Greek yogurt, and 1 or more cups fresh local strawberries and blend.
- Stop blending and use spoon to stir as needed. Add a teaspoon of chia seeds to thicken the smoothie if needed. Add more strawberries or honey to get your preferred flavor.
- Vegan option: substitute cow’s milk with vegan milk options (almond, oat, cashew, etc.), add ice and extra chia seeds to thicken the mixture.
Fruit & spinach Smoothie
Anything goes in the wild West Ward, so we made a green smoothie with fresh spinach and frozen fruit in September. Here’s a quick recipe to follow:
- Combine orange juice (or another fruit juice) with a cup or so of frozen fruit in a blender. We used a frozen mix of strawberry, mango, pineapple, and peaches for a local-meets-tropical flavor.
- Blend and mix in ripe banana, as much as you desire. Adjust sweetness of the smoothie with honey as needed and thicken it by adding more frozen fruit or ice.
- Add a handful of spinach and blend. Use a spoon to mix in the spinach in between blending. Continue adding more for additional nutrition.
- Find the right ratios for your preferred flavors… and color. Green spinach mixed with fruity colors can be quite an interesting combination.